The Leaving Certificate Applied is a distinct, self-contained two-year Leaving Certificate programme aimed at preparing students for adult and working life. The programme puts an emphasis on forms of achievement and excellence which the established Leaving Certificate had not recognised in the past. It is an innovative programme in the way students learn, in what they learn and in the way their achievements are assessed. It is a person-centred programme involving a cross-curricular approach rather than a subject based structure. It has as its primary objective the preparation of participants for adult and working life through relevant learning experiences which develop the following areas of human endeavour; spiritual, intellectual, social, emotional, aesthetic and physical.
The framework of the Leaving Certificate Applied consists of a number of modules grouped under three general headings:
- General education
- Vocational education
- Vocational preparation
The Leaving Certificate Applied is intended to meet the needs of those students who either chose not to opt for other Leaving Certificate programmes or who are not adequately catered for by other Leaving Certificate programmes.
Graduates of the Leaving Certificate Applied do not have direct access to higher education through the Central Applications Office (CAO). However, graduates of the Leaving Certificate Applied who progress to an approved further education award can become eligible for admission to some third level courses in the institutes of technology and following that to some degree courses in the institutes of technology and in the universities.
Modules offered at Leaving Certificate Applied level in Lucan Community College:
- Vocational preparation and guidance
- English and communications
- Information technology *
- Maths applications
- Hotel catering and tourism (specialism)
- Information technology (specialism)
- Arts visual *
- Leisure and recreation *
- Gaeilge *
- Social education
- German/ French *
The Vetting Act places statutory vetting obligations on school authorities and students undertaking relevant work experience or activities with children or vulnerable persons must first obtaining a vetting disclosure from the Bureau.
In light of this a vetting disclosure must be obtained by DDLETB for any student in TY or LCA who engages in work experience with children or vunerable adults. Each student should:
- receive a letter from school personnel about Garda Vetting
- complete the Vetting Invitation Form – NVB 1
- if under 18, ask their parent/guardian to complete a C) Parent Guardian Consent Form – NVB 3 for the student to undertake garda vetting
- ensure they have sufficient documents supplied to reach 100 points on the ID validation form as outlined on New ID Validation Form (for adults) and New ID Validation Form for students (for students under 18) and complete these two forms
- return these forms along with copies of proof of identity such as passport or birth certificate as soon as possible to the organiser of the event or school office. Original documents must be seen by this person and they must sign the photocopies submitted and complete the end of the ID validation form.
This information will then be forwarded to our Head Office.
The applicant will then be invited by email (so please check your email regularly, including junk folder) to complete a Garda vetting application as soon as the attached/enclosed form is received by Head Office. If the presenters have already been vetted by the National Vetting Bureau with another school or organisation the process should not take too long but it can take a number of weeks and so we encourage you to start the process immediately. Only a vetting procedure carried out by DDLETB, will cover an individual to work in our school. This Garda clearance is then returned to our school and kept on file. As a student you can request a copy of this form to bring to your work experience placement.
LCA ICT Task 2018/2019:
- Hollie’s IT Brochure
- Joseph’s computer game – Zombie Survival
- Sally’s Make Up Blog/Website
- Reme’s Celebrity Living Blog/Website
- Chantelle’s LCA Brochure
* One-year courses