RE: Incoming 1st year students of 2021/2022 Last updated 30 June 2021
Dear Parents/Guardians of Incoming First Year students,
As your sons/daughters finish primary school, we wish you all a lovely summer break and we look forward to meeting our new students at 9.30am on Monday 30th August and 9am on Tuesday 31st August for their induction mornings.
Thank you for engaging with our alternative induction programme over the last year. The information parents/guardians shared with us about our new 1st years was very helpful and will help our teachers, tutors and year heads to get to know the students in their care. We will spend two full mornings in August on induction activities with 1st years to help them to get to know the school, our people and our procedures.
The posted and online pack contains important information regarding planning for the coming school year. Further information is available on our website. We ask that you inform us immediately by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org if there are any changes to your contact details or if you have queries about next year.
You will receive the following documents by post:
- Letter stating class-name and options assigned (3 option subjects and 1 modern language in most cases). Where you have a query about class placement or subject options please address your query in writing to 1st Year link Deputy Principal Ms Malone and post/email it into the front office (email@example.com). We cannot guarantee that a request to change class or option subjects can be facilitated;
- School Calendar Please retain this safely at home for school closure dates and early finishing times and check the online google calendar on our website for updates;
- The new school day structure is shown on a blank timetable as we have made some changes this year. The move to one hour classes will mean fewer classes each day (6 instead of 9), improved student engagement, less time spent moving around the school and fewer books to be carried. Please note the slight changes to start, break and end times;
- Booklist – included in post and also see below
Available on our website under Programmes – Junior Cycle – 1st Year Information:
- Booklist for the coming school year – The Book Haven company will operate online this year or through their shop in Blanchardstown. Book grant application forms are available on our website lucancc.ie for eligible applicants and can only be redeemed through The Book Haven (www.bookhaven.ie);
- Uniform Information – please note choice of kilt or trousers for girls. Students in all years do PE and require a school PE uniform. Students should wear their PE uniform for the day when PE is on the timetable. Our uniform supplier is Schoolwear House and contact details and sizing advice are available on our website lucancc.ie;
- Financial Information – details of our online payment system can be found on our website and we ask that you check our online payment system to ensure that all outstanding balances are paid.
- The locker fee (€50 to cover the three years of Junior Cycle) can be paid online. A locker is available for all 1st years upon payment of this fee.
- The €50 admin charge covers the cost of the school journal which will be available from the school on return. It also covers the cost of student 24-hour insurance and operating costs of the school SMS text messaging system.
- A voluntary contribution of €100 helps to cover the costs of our active extra-curricular programme, end of year awards and ongoing costs such as photocopying and postage. Sibling discounts can be requested through the front office.
- Entrance assessments: As we were not able to run our usual entrance assessments with incoming students, we plan to run them at a later stage when students have settled in to school.
- Journal: Please ensure that every student and parent/guardian signs the school journal (Page 2) when they are distributed to confirm that you have read and understood the school policies and to confirm your commitment to following the school code of behaviour, uniform policy and other policies. Please ensure your son/daughter understands all our policies especially personal presentation, mobile phones, acceptable user (ICT) and attendance/punctuality. We also encourage first years to join extra-curricular activities to help them to settle in and make new friends.
- Technology: We are a Windows based school and although it is not essential, it would be of benefit if students had access to a windows based device for homework. All students in Lucan CC can use their school email account to access Microsoft 365. This includes Word, OneNote and Teams. So it is not necessary to buy the Office 365 package. If you are considering buying a device a basic entry level computer will suffice. Please ensure the device has a microphone and a camera for video conferencing if needed. Students should have access to a set of headphones that work with a smartphone. All electronic devices can be used under teacher supervision during class time only.
- Induction Day: Students should arrive in full uniform on the date and time specified on the calendar and require only a copy, a pencil case and a small snack on their induction days. A locker will be allocated to students who have paid the rental fee and books can be brought in gradually over the first week.
- Letters of advice: to graduating 6th Class students from previous 1st years at LCC
As a result of the pandemic, the wearing of face masks is compulsory at second level. We advise students to arrive to school wearing a mask and to have a spare in their school bag in case it is needed. While hand sanitiser and wipes are readily available throughout the school building, some students found it helpful to carry a small personal hygiene pack containing hand sanitiser, wipes, tissues and a spare face-mask.
Please keep an eye on our website www.lucancc.ie and Twitter account @lucancc1 for updates at the start of the year and use your VSware access throughout your child’s time in our school. A reminder on how to access VSware as a parent/guardian can be found here. Our parents’ association social media accounts and contact details are also available on our website.Our 1st year classes are named after islands – Achill, Clare, Dalkey, Rathlin, Toraigh and Valentia and will be supported by their tutors and Year Head Ms Brady as well as the wider staff. To paraphrase the poet John Donne “No one is an island entire of itself; every one is a piece of the continent, a part of the main”. Your son/daughter now joins the community of Lucan Community College with our strong ethos of Aontas/Unity and I have no doubt that they will settle in well during their 1st year with us and build on the strong social and educational foundations that they have constructed in primary school.
Take care and have a safe and relaxing summer before the excitement of your time in Lucan Community College begins. We look forward to meeting you.
Diane Birnie (Principal)
Last news post for our outgoing 1st years of 2020/21
Please see the latest news for our current first year students below.
Friday 21st May 2021:
We are now approaching the end of first year. What a fantastic group of students who have displayed resilience and character during a year which has not been like any other.
Thanks parents for all your continued support as your son/daughter continue their journey with us in LucanCC. Year one is almost over and another exciting five years to go. It has been a joy and a pleasure working/teaching and getting to know each of our students. There have been a few obstacles along the way but hasn’t every road a few twists and turns. It is important when an issue arises, to deal with it in a positive manner. I think we have done that throughout the year. Thanks Students, Parents and staff for working in partnership together. Communication is the key.
Our final week of term is approaching and we have informed our first years about a number of activiites happening for them during this week. It is important to also let you know what is happening. Classes are as normal all week except for the following activities scheduled.
‘Team Works’ are doing an activity day with our first years on Tuesday 25th May. Here are the times for each of our class groups.
Classes Rowan & Willow are on at 8.55 until 11.15
Classes Oak & Elm are on from 11.15 until 1.15pm
Classes Cedar & Sycamore are from 2pm to 4pm.
Students will wear the school tracksuit plus their school coat. Please make sure they have a spare pair of socks and if they wish to bring a little towel with them that is ok. The must have their euipement/books/copies for other classes that day.
A ‘Resilience class’ will be given to the first years Friday 21st May or Tuesday 25th May. A little workshop of how to be resilient during these Covid times and to stay positive. The following are the time slots for each class.
Friday 21st May period 1 – Class Willow. 8.55
Friday 21st May period 2 – Class Rowan. -9.35
Tuesday 25th May period 2 – Class Sycamore- 9.35
Tuesday 25th May period 3 Class Oak – 10.35
Tuesday 25th May period 4 Class Cedar -11.15
Tuesday 25th May period 7 Class Elm -2pm
On Thursday afternoon, from 3pm to 4pm, our Mini awards will take place. This is a prize-giving ceremony for First Years at this time.
Our Gluais team have organised a quiz with each of the class groups and are doing this at the following times.
Class Cedar – Tuesday 10.35am – room C3
Class Oak – Thursday 2.00pm – room C2
Class Willow – Wednesday – 9.35am room C5
Class Rowan -Tuesday – 12.35pm room C5
Class Sycamore -Tuesday – 10.35am room H6
Class Elm -Thursday -12.35pm room C1
On Friday 28th (last day of term) students have classes as per the timetable, up to 11.55am. Students will then go to meet their class tutor from 11.55am. The end of year ceremony will be take place at approx. 12.30pm on Teams Live. Students will finish the day at 1.15pm to begin their summer holidays.
Please have a chat with your son/daughter and make sure they are prepared for all these events. Other classes run as normal so continue to have correct equipment for each class. School reports will be posted at the beginning of Summer.
Thanks a million.
Colette Clarke and First Year Team