RE: 5thyear Leaving Certificate students of 2021/2022 Last Update 24 June 2021
We hope that the start of the school holidays has provided a well-earned break for your son/daughter and that you and your families can use some of the summer to recharge the batteries after some busy and challenging times.
This online pack contains important information regarding planning for the coming school year. We ask that you inform us immediately by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org if there are any changes to your contact details or if you have queries about next year.
I am delighted to include the following documents as part of this online pack:
- Summer Report for those who have completed 1st, 2nd, 4th and 5th year can now be accessed through the VSware Parent app; The 3rd year summer report will be available for access through VSware next week. A school based Junior Cycle Profile of Achievement for 3rd years will be issued next year and this official document will be used instead of the State Examination results and should be retained. A text message will be sent to year groups once the reports are open for access. A reminder on how to access VSware as a parent/guardian can be found here.
- Booklist for the coming school year. The Book Haven company will operate online this year or through their shop in Blanchardstown. Book grant application forms are available on our website lucancc.ie for eligible applicants and can only be redeemed through The Book Haven (www.bookhaven.ie);
- Options have already been assigned and communicated to 5th year students. Transition Year Option subjects will be given to students on their return to school. You will see from the TY booklist that no books are needed for option subjects;
- School Calendar: Please print and retain this safely at home for school closure dates and early finishing times and check the online google calendar on our website for updates;
- The new school day structure is shown on a blank timetable as we have made some changes this year. The move to one hour classes will mean fewer classes each day (6 instead of 9), improved student engagement, less time spent moving around the school and fewer books to be carried. Please note the slight changes to start, break and end times.
- Uniform Information – please note choice of kilt or trousers for girls. Students in all years do PE and require a school PE uniform. Students should wear their PE uniform for the day when PE is on the timetable. LC Examination PE students will be advised when they need to wear their PE uniform. Our uniform supplier is Schoolwear House and contact details and sizing advice are available on our website lucancc.ie;
- Financial Information – details of our online payment system can be found on our website and we ask that you check our online payment system to ensure that all outstanding balances are paid.
- For 5th year LC students, the locker fee (€30 to cover the two years of Leaving Certificate) can be paid online here. A locker is available for all 5th years upon payment of this fee.
- The €50 admin charge covers the cost of the school journal which will be available from the school on return. It also covers the cost of student 24-hour insurance and operating costs of the school SMS text messaging system.
- A voluntary contribution of €100 helps to cover the costs of our active extra-curricular programme, end of year awards and ongoing costs such as photocopying and postage. Sibling discounts can be requested through the front office.
- Technology: We are a Windows based school and although it is not essential, it would be of benefit if students had access to a windows based device for homework. All students in Lucan CC can use their school email account to access Microsoft 365. This includes Word, OneNote and Teams. So it is not necessary to buy the Office 365 package. If you are considering buying a device a basic entry level computer will suffice. Please ensure the device has a microphone and a camera for video conferencing if needed. LC students taking DCG need a higher specification (see www.t4.ie). Students should have access to a set of headphones that work with a smartphone. All electronic devices can be used under teacher supervision during class time only.
- Induction Days: Students should arrive in full uniform on the date and time specified on the calendar and require only a copy, a pencil case and a small snack on their induction days. A locker will be allocated to students who have paid the rental fee (lockers are not needed for TY and LCA students) and books can be brought in gradually over the first week.
Please ensure that every student and parent/guardian signs the school journal (Page 2) when they are distributed to confirm that you have read and understood the school policies and to confirm your commitment to following the school code of behaviour, uniform policy and other policies. Please ensure your son/daughter understands all our policies especially personal presentation, mobile phones, acceptable user (ICT) and attendance/punctuality. We also encourage students to join extra-curricular activities when they restart.
Please keep an eye on our website www.lucancc.ie and Twitter account @lucancc1 for updates at the start of the year and use your VSware access throughout your child’s time in our school. Our parents’ association social media accounts and contact details are also available on our website.
Take care and have a safe and relaxing summer before the excitement of a new school year begins again.
Diane Birnie (Principal)