A well-attended meeting on Monday 13th April saw the formation of a new Parent Association Committee. The parents present represented every year group in the school and held a positive and productive discussion about the role of the Parent Association of Lucan Community College. The roles of the committee members were outlined and parents volunteered for the roles. The Committee members are:
Chairperson: Mark Lyons
Vice-chairperson: Sandra Coleman
Secretary: Arlene Hughes
Vice-Secretary: Áine Kelly
Treasurer: Mary Flannery
Vice-Treasurer: Aideen Quinn
The role of PRO supporting use of social media to promote the work of the Parent Association was filled by Richard Varney.
A new male parent nominee was sought for the Board of Management and Fintan Hanley was appointed to this position. Thanks were expressed to Paddy Duffy who has served as male parent nominee for many years. The female parent nominee is Shona Hayes. Many other parents present committed to attending meetings regularly and a range of ideas and suggestions were gathered to form the structure of the agenda for the first official meeting of the newly formed Association which takes place on Tuesday 5th May 2015 at 7.30pm. The Principal agreed to attend meetings of the PA where possible.
Meetings were set for 7.30pm on the 1st Tues of every month, will take place in the college and all parents are requested to attend as many meetings as possible to strengthen the role of the PA. The PA want to be a real voice for the parent body and contact can be made with the PA association members through the college office or by using the email address email@example.com.
Possible agenda items for this meeting were suggested including:
- Fundraising ideas and developing a calendar of fundraising events
- Involving more parents in the PA – including use of social media to promote the work of the Association
- Applying appropriate pressure to ensure that the Extension process proceeds speedily
- Update on running of debs (a number of parents volunteered to help to collect the next instalment of ticket money at 1-2pm on 24th April)
Other ideas in relation to the role of the PA included:
- Keeping close contact with the student council to ensure that the PA are aware of issues of importance to the students
- Consulting on policies that are reviewed by the school
Please consider volunteering to assist with some of the work of the association and attending meetings whenever possible.